My intentions of this blog are to of course showcase my talents but also to encourage others to bake! I want to show people that you do not have to attend a culinary arts school (if you do, that is obviously great!) to be successful in the baking business. You do not need super expensive equipment or a large oven to get wonderful and professional looking results. I have been in this business for a few years and I have learned so much without taking one class! And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Elmo & Sesame Street Friends Cake & Cupcakes


 So I have sooooo many pictures of past things that I baked and wanted to share so I will...lol. My god daughter turned 2 in September 2011 and her mother, my close friend, decided to throw her a Sesame Street BBQ birthday party, because she loves Elmo so much! As her god mommy and a baker, I volunteered my services and made her birthday cake and cupcakes to go along with it. I was so excited to do it, especially the Elmo cake since I had never done a character cake before. All of the adults in her life (mommy, daddy, grandparents, me...lol) had to wear character t-shirts and I was assigned to be Oscar the Grouch :( even though i am far from a grouch. It was a fantastic party and I think that my cake and cupcakes helped with that!

 I used an Elmo face pan for the cake so it wasn't really hard to make. I sprayed the pan down with some baking spray and added a little flour to make sure that it wouldn't stick, threw it in the oven and Voila! there was Elmo as happy as could be! To color him I dyed some buttercream icing red and orange and used some of Wilton's pre-made black decorator icing. I used a star tip to decorate his face which was cool because it gave off that hair effect to his face.
  Next up were the cupcakes. I made these cupcakes for fun and they turned out AWESOME so I started getting orders for them, including this birthday party. I grew up on Sesame Street, as many people did, so this was really fun for me. All of the characters faces are colored crystals (they are an absolute favorite of mine if you have not noticed by now). All of their eyes are white and dark chocolate, which I melted in the microwave. Elmo and Oscar's mouths are also dark chocolate. I of course had to stick a cookie in Cookie Monster's mouth, he wouldn't be the monster that he is without it...lol. Elmo's cute little nose is a red ball of candy covered in orange icing ( I replaced this with a jell bean the 2nd time around, much easier). And big birds mouth is made of banana and strawberry laffy taffy! You get and extra treat with each cupcake! There are plenty of ways to make these cupcakes but this is my way! And everyone enjoyed my treats, and the party too...lol!
There I am with the green shirt on and there is the birthday girl with the two puff balls being held by her mommy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget