My intentions of this blog are to of course showcase my talents but also to encourage others to bake! I want to show people that you do not have to attend a culinary arts school (if you do, that is obviously great!) to be successful in the baking business. You do not need super expensive equipment or a large oven to get wonderful and professional looking results. I have been in this business for a few years and I have learned so much without taking one class! And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I Finally Went to a Baking Class.

As a graduation gift my little sister signed me up for cake decorating classes at a kitchenware and bake ware shop called Fante's Kitchen, located in South Philly smack dab in the mist of the Italian Market. I was signed up for the intermediate course but was told that I had to switch to beginners. Needless to say, I was a bit annoyed by that but was excited about going anyway. As you may know, I have taken a class at all and everything that I know I've learned via the internet and practice.

The class runs for three consecutive Saturdays in June with three hour class sessions. I needed a ton of supplies but my sis gave me a handy dandy gift certificate so I only ended up paying about $3.00 :). The first class was spent working on borders for cake, specifically shells and backward shell borders. We also learned to make stars and rosettes using royal icing.

The second class was a bit more advanced. We had to bring an iced cake to class along with a batch of stiff buttercream, medium buttercream and thin buttercream. And let me tell you, consistency is EVERYTHING!!! All of my consistencies were off which made it difficult to practice a first (this is something that can be fixed by powdered sugar). During this class we decorated our cakes with stems, leaves, rosebuds, sweet pea flowers and bows, along with adding a shell border. We also worked on writing as well but my cake has no writing. Here is a pic...

The last class is this coming week and I'm excited. We will be working on full roses as well as making borders and learning how to make standing characters for cakes (mine will be clowns). Not sure what else we will learn. I think that I will sign up for intermediate classes so I will be ready to make my wedding cake in February! I will definitely post an update on my 3rd class.

And here is an update from the 3rd class, two weeks later...lol. It was awesome! I made a clown cake, which I decided to ice with a coral colored buttercream icing. I made some cute little clowns and added some balloons, borders and awesome garland. I learned soooooo much in this class and even got a little certificate to prove it. Thanks Fante's Kitchen! I think I will be visiting again in the fall for the intermediate class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget