My intentions of this blog are to of course showcase my talents but also to encourage others to bake! I want to show people that you do not have to attend a culinary arts school (if you do, that is obviously great!) to be successful in the baking business. You do not need super expensive equipment or a large oven to get wonderful and professional looking results. I have been in this business for a few years and I have learned so much without taking one class! And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Paul Frank Birthday Cake & Cupcakes


My godson's 1st birthday was this past August and i was of course on sweet treat duty! His mom decided to go with a Paul Frank theme and frankly, I was a bit nervous at first. I had never heard of Paul Frank before and was unsure what to do. But me being the person that I am, I of course pulled it together! His mom wanted a the cake to be the shape of Paul Frank's face and needed it for a count of 30 people. I went a big overboard and created and enormously heavy cake. What I did.....
1. I baked one full sheet (double layered cake) and a 1/2 sheet cake (double layered as well)
2. Since I can sketch well, I drew the shape of the monkey's face and then cut them out and covered them with masking tape to use as tracing reference (you can print the outline out as well).
3. I actually separated  the face; cut the ears, top half of the face and the mouth apart from each other to make it easier to trace them.
4. I then placed each shape on top of the stacked cakes and cut them with a knife.
5. Once all of the cutting was complete, I filled the layers with buttercream and then began putting the face back together.
6.The monkey's face is covered completely in brown and ivory fondant (Satin Ice brand...delicious!). And his giant red mouth is painted on.

 I also made 30 cupcakes as well. I baked vanilla, chocolate and banana nut (in honor of Paul Frank) cupcakes! Half of the cupcakes had Paul Frank faces and the other half were decorated with rainbow sprinkles and cherry ball candies on top. The Paul Frank faces were created completely with fondant, using a knife and round fondant cutters. These were very fun to make and they tasted great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget