My intentions of this blog are to of course showcase my talents but also to encourage others to bake! I want to show people that you do not have to attend a culinary arts school (if you do, that is obviously great!) to be successful in the baking business. You do not need super expensive equipment or a large oven to get wonderful and professional looking results. I have been in this business for a few years and I have learned so much without taking one class! And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hubby's Birthday Cake (Basketball meets Football meets Kappa)

My wonderful hubby's 26th birthday was May 17th and we celebrated all weekend! And of course a birthday wouldn't be complete without a birthday cake!! This cake is sort of a spin off of the groom's cake that I wanted to make for him (I was very tired planning the wedding...lol). So I promised that I would make him a cake and here it is!
So, the cake follows 3 concepts that describe my lovebug (there are many more of course but I chose these three). If anybody knows Aaron they know that he knows everything there is to know about basketball! He loves this sport just about as much as he loves me...lol. His favorite football team is the San Francisco 49ers. And yes he was absolutely devastated when they lost the Superbowl this year :'(. Aaron is also a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. Below is a description of each part of the cake.
This basketball is completely made of cake and is covered in buttercream icing tinted orange. This 3-D cake was made using the ball cake pan set. I used the star tip to pipe on the buttercream and then used some black fondant pieces to make the lines on the basketball (sucks that they aren't straight, I will work on that).

This cake is a small 6 inch cake covered in buttercream as well. Around the front of the cake are fondant Greek letters (Kappa, Alpha & Psi) in red and white (his frat's colors, crimson and cream). There are also 2 crimson and cream canes in front of those letters, another symbol related to the frat. The top of the cake is dedicated to the 49ers. I covered the top in green buttercream for grass. And right in the middle is a the team's logo, handcrafted from fondant. And right next to that is a fondant football.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget