My intentions of this blog are to of course showcase my talents but also to encourage others to bake! I want to show people that you do not have to attend a culinary arts school (if you do, that is obviously great!) to be successful in the baking business. You do not need super expensive equipment or a large oven to get wonderful and professional looking results. I have been in this business for a few years and I have learned so much without taking one class! And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Purse Cakes

I know that there are classes out there that you can take on how to make purse cakes but I have not taken one. These were pretty much figure it out on your own projects, which is what most cakes are for me...lol. This summer was a very busy one for me and I had requests for 3 purse cakes, Michael Kors purses to be exact! I did each one differently and below you will find pictures and explanations. FYI; I did not purchase a MK stencil. All of the MK designs are made from fondant letters and glued onto the cake 1 by 1 (very tedious). I did purchase a zipper mold which is used on all 3 cakes.

 This was my first purse cake ever and it turned out very well. This is made of pound cake and has four layers stacked to reach this height (my other 2 cakes are much smaller). The cake is covered in brown tinted fondant and decorated in lighter brown fondant decorations. The buckles are hand carved and painted with edible gold paint as well as the Michael Kors symbol. The customer also wanted to add some make up to the cake so I hand molded some MAC make up products and the cake was a success!!

 This cake follows the same exact technique as the one above except that it has a different color scheme and design. Again, everything is hand carved and the gold is hand painted on.

And here is my last Micheal Kors bag cake. This one goes back to the brown and tan color palette but it is not tall like the other two. This one is instead a wider bag. I didn't want to create the same bag so I made sure to research different designs! All three bags were a success and became easier to make over time. I really enjoyed making these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget