My intentions of this blog are to of course showcase my talents but also to encourage others to bake! I want to show people that you do not have to attend a culinary arts school (if you do, that is obviously great!) to be successful in the baking business. You do not need super expensive equipment or a large oven to get wonderful and professional looking results. I have been in this business for a few years and I have learned so much without taking one class! And I want to share with you what I have learned.

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Split Cake Design

This was a technique that I had never even heard of until a customer asked me for it. I had to do a little research and assure myself that I would be able to pull it off. I am very sure of myself and I always find a way to complete a task but nevertheless I am always nervous when I am trying something out for the first time. The customer and a friend of hers were both celebrating their 25th birthdays together and she wanted one two tiered cake to be split in half, one side representing her and the other side representing her friend. Her side she pretty much wanted to be girly and "blingly" using the colors blue and silver and her friend is a nurse so she wanted to incorporate that and her favorite color purple. I was given these instructions and pretty much had control over the design of the cake, I am the creator of course...lol. Here are some pictures of the cake followed by a description.

 So the idea is to have one cake split in 2 so that it's actually like 2 separate  cakes. I torted my 6 and 8 inch cakes and crumb coated them. I then cut each tier in half and then covered them in fondant. After that, I proceeded to stack the tiers.

 This is the nurse side of the cake. The tiers are covered in purple and white fondant and are decorated with a fondant stethoscope, band-aids, pill bottle and several fondant pills. The heart lines and border are made of red tinted buttercream icing.


The other side of the cake is decorated in light blue and white fondant. The top tier has a diamond imprint which I made using a diamond shaped cake impression mat. The borders of this cake are decorated using non-edible rhinestone cake banding. The customer wanted this side really girly so I just added some fondant make up products. There is also a fondant ribbon that starts on the top of this cake and extends to the other side of the cake, both ends have each of the ladies names on them. The cake is topped off with the number "25" which is covered in silver edible paint and glitter flakes. These pictures don't do the cake justice. It was really pretty and the customers loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget